Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Birthdays


Alhamdulillah today I'm another year older, I know there are people out there that are going to tell me celebrating birthdays are haram, or are an innovation. Doesn't Islam let us keep our culture unless it specifically goes against the religion?! I'm Canadian and celebrating my birthday is a part of my culture. I am not about to go in debt celebrating my birthday, dinner and flowers is all I ask for (lol only half joking). Islam is about moderation, giving thanks to Allah, and appreciating everyday we are blessed with. Depending where you go to find your information, or should I say which sites you visit, there is evidence for and against celebrating birthdays.

Islamonline states that "Islam teaches Muslim to have a unique character and to be distinguished. A Muslim is weaned on morality and avoiding blind imitation. Islam supports the celebration of a birthday if it is an expression of gratitude to Allah for His bounties, sustenance and blessings in man’s life, as long as that celebration does not include anything that may displease Allah, the Almighty." and gives the evidence that "The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays, and he answered: “It is the day on which I was born.” Within the Muslim world you can see there are different styles of dress, different food and other small differences that distinguish us as being part of a certain culture.

On the other end of the spectrum there are those who are against Muslims celebrating birthdays, Islam-qa states that "Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations." I personally do not see how this is following the Christians or Jews, but then again people say not to imitate the hair styles, or dress of the Christians and Jews, but what does that mean nowadays? If you shop at any department store here you'll find clothes suitable for Muslims but designed for everyone, Jew, Christian, Athiest, Hindu ect. Arab Christians and Jews say Salam as a greeting, does that mean we should stop saying salam? No, of course not.

It's not just our actions that Allah (SWT) judges, it's also our intentions. So whether or not you decide to celebrate your birthday know why your making this choice, have an understanding and full faith in your decission, don't believe everything people tell you, do your research, after all "education is incumbant upon all Muslims"

4 comments:

otowi said...

Almost every Muslim I know celebrates birthdays. And the scholars I follow say it is perfectly halal.

Happy Birthday! Today was my niece's 12th birthday, mine is this weekend, and my dad's also will be before the end of the fasting month, insha'allah, and then one more before the end of October!

Far Azmi said...

i personally think it's ok to celebrate birthday as long as it doesnt neglect the syariat.. think of a a kid... how happy is he when his birthday is celebrated.. arent we, Muslims encouraged to make other people happy? And birthday celebration is one of the ways ;)

ps: thx lots for visiting my blog ;)Hope u'll hv a wonderful journey in ur new home.

Jana's Journeys said...

-Otowi Happy upcoming Brithday :)

-Thanks Penguin for your comment

Nasr said...

Happy Birthday!